Watermelon is a summer staple. There’s nothing like that first bite of the magenta flesh, and letting the juice run down your chin. Sticky mess, sure. Worth it? Absolutely. Every year at one a great friend’s family fiesta they make this juicy, savory salad honoring the season’s favorite fruit. I’ve put my twist on the recipe for an added kick. Originally, the recipe calls for cilantro, of which I am not a fan, but if you love the herb feel free roughly chop and toss in about 1/4 cup.
- 3 lemons, juiced
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 seedless watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled & chopped
- ¼ c. red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ c. green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ c. basil, chiffonade
- ½ c. crumbled feta cheese
1. For dressing, dissolve sugar in lemon juice, and whisk together with all remaining ingredients.
2. Combine all salad ingredients into a large bowl. Toss with dressing so that all ingredients are coated.