If you enjoy complimentary things like salty / sweet, and bold yet soothing flavors, then this dynamic tart is a must-try. Make sure to get your hands on some crisp tart apples, and aged hard gouda cheese, and you’ll be a happy camper.
Ingredients (Makes a small 6 serving tart):
- dough for 1 pie crust, divided in half
- 1 lb. Braeburn apples, cored, quartered, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scaped
- 1/4 c. sugar & 1 tsp. for topping
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest of 1/4 lemon
- 1 Tbs. honey
- dash of nutmeg and ground ginger
- 2-3 oz. aged Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 egg w/ 1 Tbs. water for egg wash
1. Mix apples with sugar, lemon juice & zest, honey, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Scrape the insides of the vanilla bean into the mix. Combine thoroughly until apples are thoroughly coated with all ingredients.
2. Roll out 1/2 the pie dough on a floured surface. Place dough into a 7″ dish, thumbing the dough around the sides and up to the top of the dish.
3. Pour the apple mixture into the dough dish.
4. Roll out the remaining 1/2 of dough on a floured surface. Drape dough over the top of the mixture, and press the edges together with the bottom layer of dough.
5. Brush eggwash over entire top crust and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degree F for 35-45 minutes, until crust is brown and juices bubble out.