Roasted beets are one of my favorite items to serve as a side, and especially on top of a sweet and spicy salad. This arugula based salad is an excellent partner in crime for my Brie, Pancetta and Berry Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, or served up in a big bowl to share. The recipe comes in 3 parts: Roasted Beets, Candied Walnuts, and putting the salad itself together.
- 1 large beet (2 small)
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper
1. Wash and peel beets. Slice into approximately 1/8 in. thick slices.
2. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar and garlic in a bowl.
3. Arrange beet slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. pour the vinegar dressing over the beets. salt and per to taste.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 1 c. walnuts
- 3 Tbs melted butter
- 1/8 c. sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the nuts, butter, sugar and chili powder. stir until nuts are thoroughly coated.
2. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven, and stir nuts with a rubber spatula to ensure nuts are evenly coated with sugar mixture. set aside, and allow to cool.
- 1 bag of arugula
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1/4 c. blue cheese crumbles
- 10 chive sprigs, chopped
- 3-4 Tbs balsamic vinagrette
- Candied Walnuts
- Roasted Beets
1. In a large bowl, mix together 1/2 container of arugula with 1/2 bag of spinach. Add dressing and toss thoroughly.
2. Top with a handful of walnuts, beet slices, chives and blue cheese crumbles